Friday 22 November 2013

CONVOCATION AT KALLAR

My family and I graduated from Kallar! Yes, that is how I understand my recent trip to Kallar with my family.

After the family and I finished the weekly Thursday prayers or puja for Agathiyar and the Siddhas in our home yesterday, I realized suddenly the reason for us to go to Kallar recently.

It had been eight years since I went to Kallar and five years since we met Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal. What made me go when I was adamant that I would not want to go anywhere? What made me change my mind, I used to ask myself?

After meeting Supramania Swami at Tiruvannamalai in 2003, meeting Tavayogi in Malaysia in 2005, having Agathiyar in the form of a bronze statue at my home since 2010, and having read Agathiyar's nadi 46 times between 2002 and 2013, I was completely satisfied. Even when Agathiyar asks me to come over to the Yercaud caves, Chidambaram Temple, Pothigai peak, and meet Rengaraja Desigar of Ongkarakudil, Dharmalinga Swamigal of Kollimalai, and Kundrakudi Adigal, I laid my foot down, telling Agathiyar enough was enough. I did not what to go anywhere anymore. I was satisfied to have him in my home and in my heart. What else need I seek, I ask myself? What else was there for me to see? If at all Agathiyar had to show me something, he can always show that in my home. If at all he wants to give me something he can pass it to me at my home. It was not arrogance on my part, but I had him with me. What else was I searching outside for? The search has to stop. And I duly told him my search had stopped and I am not moving anywhere.

The ever compassionate father heard my words and refrained from mentioning these places again. He never did ask me to go anywhere again in the Nadi. He never did ask me to meet anyone again.

We have been hearing that Tavayogi was not well and fit as before from devotees and aspirants returning from Kallar. Fearing for the worst, a disciple would naturally head for his gurus' abode to meet the guru, right? But even that thought or wish to see my guru at that moment did not arise.

When news of my first guru Supramania Swami's of Tiruvannamalai passing away reached us a day after his Samadhi in 2007, it did not disturb me the least, for, during his last remaining days, he told me that he had seen the Jyothi. I was very happy for him. So when he passed away, I was not the least sad. I called up Tavayogi and told him about Supramania Swami's demise and ask what I should do? Tavayogi told me nothing needs to be done, and added, "Pray for his soul, that it attains peace".

Then in August, I called Tavayogi as usual. Since both my children were at home this time, I passed the phone to them too. Surprisingly Tavayogi asks each and every one of us to come over to Kallar. That did the trick; that sent the ball rolling. I ask myself why he extended a personal invitation to each one of us.? Before this, he always asks me to come over. I always reply that I will, not wanting to offend him. I also told him that the next time I come to Kallar, it will be with my family. I had traveled to India earlier, alone both times, in 2003 and 2005.

We headed for the Immigration Department to renew my passport and get new ones for my wife and children. We applied for the Indian VISA. Agathiyar brings down the air ticket price, where we get a 50% discount off the normal price. Finally, we head for Kallar on 11 October 2013.

We went to Kallar for a short stint, 11 October 2013 to 15 October 2013, with no plans whatsoever. The main purpose in going was to meet Tavayogi and Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyaar. Once there, the next day Tavayogi took us on his usual morning walks in Kallar. He brought us to Sri Sargurunathar's Ashram in Coonoor. He arranged for us to be taken to Ooty later that evening where we enjoyed ourselves. The following day he had Simbu and Prabha take us on a hiking trip up the hills and jungles of Kallar where Tavayogi had installed Agathiyar. Immediately after that, we made our way to the majestic Nattadreeswarar Temple in the middle of Kaveri river near Erode.

My wife even before we left for India had wanted Tavayogi to lead a prayer at Kallar. We mentioned this to Mataji. We picked up the garlands and other prayer stuff when returning from Ooty. I suppose Mataji must have mentioned this to Tavayogi for he prepared to conduct the prayers the next morning. As Tavayogi and Mataji were browsing over the Sidha songs that I had compiled, they complimented me on the effort. I added that this compilation was what we used to sing during prayers and added that my wife and children sing well. Immediately Tavayogi tells me, "Then they shall sing today". It was an honor for my family and me to sing the praise of Agathiyar and the Sidhas at Agathiyar's abode the Sri Agathiyar Gnana Peedham at Kallar. Tavayogi started the prayer with a couple of songs and we continued.

To our surprise, Tavayogi arranged for another prayer the next day too and ask that we sing again. We were overwhelmed with the honor bestowed on us. We took it as a great appreciation and acknowledgment from the Guru.

I realize now that we went back for our graduation at Kallar. During the Kaanda Nadi reading the first time in 2002, Agathiyar asks to pray to the Sidhas. Since then my family and I have been worshipping the Sidhas. Then I meet Supramania Swami, and Tavayogi later. Tavayogi asks that we conduct a Homam in our home. Then Agathiyar joins us in the form of a bronze statue. Agathiyar through the Nadi asks that we conduct Abhisegam. Later Tavayogi during his visit to our home shows the finer points in performing the Homam. It is now 12 years since we came to Siddha worship. As if to acknowledge our involvement and commitment, Tavayogi at the end of the prayer surprises us by acknowledging our effort and blessing us. That was the greatest blessing one would want from a guru. All the hard work paid off. We had graduated from Sidha school.

When Tavayogi gave both my wife, myself and others Dheeksha while in Malaysia in 2005, he had reminded us not to reveal the Dheeksha mantra to anyone. As we were returning to Malaysia, to my surprise, he called me aside and read the same mantra from the SIDHAR PUJA VIDHI and ask to reveal and spread it. He also gave us a gift as an appreciation of our devotion on this path, I believe. It was a patharatchai or footwear and a vasikol or staff made from the stala vriksham or monumental tree at Kallar that was uprooted in a storm a couple of days before we arrived at Kallar. It was the greatest gift that one could imagine. My family and I came back with more determination and faith to continue to spread the words of the Sidhas. We came back with renewed energy.

I am blessed that my wife and children are with me on this path. My daughter surprised me with her blog on Agathiyar. Here is the link http://myindianheartbeat.blogspot.com/

24 November 2013

I thought I would not have another Nadi reading again, but Nadi Guru Ramesh called me in today and read Agathiyar's Nadi. To our surprise, Agathiyar reveals about my recent pilgrimage to Kallar and all that took place. Amazing.


The journey continues .....