Saturday 8 March 2014

AGATHIYAR SPEAKS ABOUT TAVAYOGI & SUPRAMANIA SWAMI IN THE NADI

Agathiyar has mentioned much about Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal and Supramania Swami in the Nadi. I have posted some of Agathiyar's revelation in the Nadi at http://shanmugam-avadaiyappa.podomatic.com and http://shanmugam-avadaiyappa59143.podomatic.com

In the following rendition, the first Nadi reading was read on 18.8.2005 just before I left for India and the following two readings on 20.12.2005 and 9.9.2006 respectively were revealed after I returned from my pilgrimage. Please bear with the noise and audio quality towards the end, as the audio tape was damaged.



I did not subscribe to any dailies but during the period of Tavayogi’s visit to Malaysia, my neighbor Augustine used to give me a complimentary copy of a Tamil language daily every day which carried news about Tavayogi’s visit and the opening of the Agathiyar Gnana Peedham in Batu Caves. As the name Thangarasan was familiar to me, I called the number advertised in the papers for an appointment to meet him.


I went through my belongings looking for a pamphlet that I was given by the Nadi Guru Sentilkumar of Avinasi when I went for my first reading in 2002. Tavayogi, then known as Thai Veedu Thangarasan, had circulated the pamphlet informing the public about his intention in building a new temple for Agathiyar at Kallar. 


On the day of appointment as I walked into the office space on the second floor of this premise I saw Tavayogi with two others. After exchanging greetings I was told by Appana Nagappan to go ahead with Tavayogi while he had to attend to certain matters with Perumal. 

Tavayogi led me into an adjacent room where he sat down on the carpeted floor. I followed him and sat close to him. I handed the pamphlet that I had brought along and asked if it was his. He confirmed that it was him alright. I told him that I had seen the Nadi in 2002 and was directed to worship Siddhas. He asked me to narrate what was said in the nadi. He listened attentively and told me I had come to the right place. 

Appana handed me a couple of posters of Agathiyar and the Siddhas. Tavayogi blessed me with the sacred ash (Vibhuti Prasad). I fell at Tavayogi’s feet as was customary when one meets a religious figure. But Tavayogi takes me to task saying I should only fall at the feet of Agathiyar. Then my gaze falls on a wooden sandal or paatharatchai that was representative of Agathiyar’s feet and revered. Almost spontaneously I was overcome with emotion and cried my heart out as I clutched on tightly to the feet of Agathiyar. 

When I regained my composure I asked Tavayogi if I had done much Karma since I only had the opportunity to know of the Nadi, Agathiyar and the Siddhas when I was forty-three years of age. Tavayogi consoled me, “Be grateful that at least you got the opportunity and came to this realization and this path now at this age.” 

It is mentioned in the ‘AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI’ by Paramahamsa Yogananda, published by Self-Realization Fellowship, 1990, 
"It was not until the disciple (Lahiri Mahasaya) had reached his thirty-third year that Babaji deemed the time ripe for re-establishing openly the never-severed link. After the brief meeting near Ranikhet, the selfless guru did not keep the beloved disciple by his side, but released Lahiri Mahasaya for an outward world mission." 
Tavayogi narrated a story of a guru and a disciple on a journey where they meet a young attractive girl who would not cross the river for fear of drowning. Therefore, the guru lifted her on his shoulders and crossed the heavily swollen river with the disciple following behind. On reaching the other shore, the guru left the girl behind and continued the journey. The disciple, who was very disturbed by what he had seen, eventually blurted out his uneasiness and unhappiness at what the guru had done. He questioned his guru. The guru replied, “I had carried the burden on my shoulders and left it behind as soon as I had reached the shores while you have been carrying it with you until now.” Similarly Tavayogi reminded me to let the past be. 

Again in Yogananda’s ‘AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI’, Yukteswar advised a new student who occasionally expressed doubts regarding his own worthiness to engage in yoga practice. 
“Forget the past,” Sri Yukteswar would console him. “The vanished lives of all men are dark with many shames. Human conduct is ever unreliable until anchored in the Divine. Everything in future will improve if you are making a spiritual effort now.” 
Tavayogi then led me out of the room where he showed me photographs of the many activities conducted at his ashram. Tavayogi invited me to bring my family along for his discourses at the Peedham.  


The same evening, my wife and I received a Mantra Diksha from Tavayogi, together with others from the Agathiyar Gnana Peedham. 

Just before Tavayogi left for India, Agathiyar in the Nadi asked me to requests the Mantra Diksha again from Tavayogi which surprised both Tavayogi and me. Tavayogi gave me the Diksha again, this time in private. 

Since Tavayogi invited me to his ashram and Agathiyar had asked me to spend some time at Tavayogi’s ashram, I took heed of their invitation and made my second pilgrimage to India just a month after Tavayogi returned to India. 

As I approached Thuripaalam, some devotees who Tavayogi had sent out spotted me and led me up the small hillock to Tavayogi’s ashram. Tavayogi greeted me with a big hug. He pulled up a chair and offered me some fruits. After a small chat, he asked me if I would like to take my bath at the river or at the Peedham. I opted for the river. We walked along the railway line serving Mettupalayam and Ooti that ran in front of Tavayogi’s ashram. After some distance we stepped onto a path that took us down to the river that had its source in the mountains of Ooti. 

Prayers at the Peedham were simple. Tavayogi lighted camphor and started singing a couple of hymns on the Siddhas, followed by the rests of the disciples chanting the names of the Siddhas (Sidhar Potri). 


After prayers and meditation, we set off to the wholesale market at Mettupalayam. When we returned to the ashram, Nadaraja, Tavayogi’s faithful aid and cook had already prepared dinner – idli and sambar. We retired early as there was no electricity supply at the ashram. 

The morning after I arrived at Tavayogi’s ashram doors, he invited me to join him for his daily morning walks. I took it as a privilege to accompany the guru on a quiet morning walk. Just before we started out he threw me his shawl saying it was a cold morning and that I might need it to keep me warm. Never did I realise at that moment the significant of this gesture on his part. He was to perform a miracle later at the Agnipuriswarar temple at Agasthiyampalli where Agathiyar had promised through the Nadi reading that he would open his eyes. 

Returning from the walk, Tavayogi asked if I wanted to go to Ooti or Sivanmalai. I chose Sivanmalai in Kangayam. And so we started on the first leg of our pilgrimage. Sivavakiyar had meditated in a cave at the Murugan temple on this hill temple. 

We then left for Uthiyur. Strong winds blew here just as at Sivanmalai, as we made our way up a flight of stairs, crossed a few hillocks, passed through the dense undergrowth, and crossed the rocky terrain to arrive at the cave where Konganar had meditated. As the winds kept blowing consistently Tavayogi uttered, “Hold on, we are coming” and turning around to me he added, “The Siddhas are inviting us, my son.” 


There were a few openings in these caves. Tavayogi crawled into one and I followed him. This cave was just sufficient to accommodate both of us. Tavayogi told me he had occupied this cave during his earlier days of roaming the length and breadth of India in search of answers. Tavayogi broke down in tears as he started to sing some hymns on Agathiyar and songs by Ramalinga Adigal. I was overcome by emotion on seeing him cry. I cried too.


Then Tavayogi took me to the adjacent cave where Konganar had sat in meditation. Tavayogi slid down a small opening between several boulders to reach a large cave inside. He sang a couple of hymns on Agathiyar. I closed my eyes. 


Upon opening them, Tavayogi applied the sacred ash on my forehead and gave me some to bring back with me. As we prepared to leave, I asked him why he was leaving behind the remaining quantity of sacred ash. He looked at the ash in the piece of newspaper and questioned me if I had brought the ash along? I answered in the negative. We both looked at the old man who had accompanied us from the Peedham. He answered he did not bring it either. We were puzzled how the sacred ash got there. 


We then left for Chennimalai. On arrival at Chennimalai Murugan temple grounds, we made our way over a flight of stairs to the Samadhi of Punakeeswarar. Tavayogi tried to enter a narrow opening in the rock face but could not fit. He attempted a few times and gave up. We sat outside the opening and meditated. I came to understand that the ‘KANDA SHASTI KAVACHAM’ was first offered to the world in this temple by Balan Devaraya Swami. The sun had already set as we started back for Kallar. 


On the way back we stopped at a Mariamman temple near Mettupalayam where Tavayogi had taken shelter for a year when he lost his eyesight earlier in life. Unfortunately, the temple was closed for the night. 

On returning to Kallar, Tavayogi revealed to us, “The Sidhas had come. They had blessed us. They had showered flowers on us. They were extremely happy.” He then asked me, “Do you now understand the reason for your journey?” I could only nod my head in amazement. 

Later Agathiyar told me in the Nadi that he had called me over to India urgently on this pilgrimage so that I should learn about the greatness of the Siddhas and Agathiyar; get to know and be at the places where the Siddhas had performed austerities; and was called to witness miracles. 

The following day Tavayogi took me to Sargurunathar’s Cave; while Mani, a local resident of Ooti, took us to Suyanjhoti Swami’s ashram; a Mariamman temple; and Dayananda Swami’s home, all in Ooty and its surroundings. On the way back Tavayogi explained to me the spiritual state of each of these Swamis. I returned from my second leg of our pilgrimage with the understanding that gurus too are at different stages of evolution. 


The next day was spent at the ashram. Tavayogi related the story of how he came to put up his ashram in Kallar. The Aaru Aatare Peedham was fashioned based on exact measurements and guidance given by Agathiyar to Tavayogi. 

It was one massive piece of granite weighing 1,250 kg that was cut into seven numbers of receding steps. It was made out of a solid piece of granite elsewhere and then transported by lorry to the foot of the hill. 

The Peedham had to be carried across the railway lines that passed in front of the ashram and up the hill and into the prayer room. When all attempts to move the massive Peedham to the ashram failed and Tavayogi was lost for ideas, Agathiyar appears to Tavayogi and assures him all will be well. Someone then suggests bringing in an elephant for the job. And so, an elephant was brought in for the massive task. Finally the Peedham was placed in position short of a few days before its installation and celebrations. 

Tavayogi enlightened me about the greatness of his guru Chitramuthu Adigal and Paramaguru Jaganatha Swamigal. 


Early evening, we went downtown to purchase groceries and vegetables for the feast that I wanted to give to the locals. 

Later that evening Tavayogi brought out bundles of the Nadi that were in his possession. I was amazed to see the myriad of Nadis, of various sizes and lengths, written in different forms of writings. He also read to me transcribes of Nadis written down in notebooks. He passed me the one on his daughter. In it, Agathiyar consoles Tavayogi’s daughter who was saddened since Tavayogi had left the family to become a mendicant. Agathiyar reveals to her that her father had a bigger mission than that of a householder. 

Word was sent out that free food would be served. Tavayogi conducted prayers at 11 am. Food was served at noon. I asked Tavayogi if the Siddhas were present at the Peedham to receive our prayers. Since he must have thought I doubted their presence, Tavayogi questioned me back, “What! Do you think they are not around?”  I had asked him if they were around numerous times; at the Peedham, in the caves and at the Samadhis that we visited. 

The next day as we left on the third leg of our tour. “Only now our actual journey begins,” said Tavayogi with a big grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. We were headed for Agasthiyampalli in Vedharanyam, Pothigai, Courtallam, and Palani as instructed in the Nadi. He was just as excited and looking forward to this adventure as I was. 

On arrival at Agasthiyampalli, we were surprised to see a temple priest rush up to meet us as we alighted from the car. He took us straight to Agathiyar’s temple. As Tavayogi started to sing the hymns, much to our puzzlement, the priest interrupted him and directed us to go round the temple grounds and pray at Lord Shiva’s temple before coming back here. Tavayogi looked at me, questioningly. Although both of us were equally puzzled, we did as instructed.

As we walked into Shiva’s temple, he was waiting for us. He lighted the camphor and showed the arati or flame. He brought us out to the open, placed his thumb on the ground and indicated the spot as the place where Agathiyar had pressed his thumb to balance the earth that was tilted due to the presence of the Gods at Shiva and Parvathy’s wedding.

He told us he had to leave for another temple before it closes and hurriedly let us alone.

Back again at Agathiyar's temple, Tavayogi sang the usual hymns in praise of Agathiyar. I continued with chanting the names of the Siddhas. Agathiyar had invited me to this temple and promised to open his eyes according to the Nadi revelation before I left for India. But Agathiyar had yet to open his eyes. I cried for his blessings. Yet Agathiyar did not open his eyes. Tavayogi left the temple to go out into the open. I closed my eyes in contemplation of the form of Agathiyar. But Agathiyar’s heart did not mellow. 

Saddened, I joined Tavayogi outside. He called me to his side and pointed out to me that Agathiyar was opening and closing his eyes. I peered hard but did not see this miracle take place. I could not even make out the granite statue of Agathiyar from where I stood much less see him open and close his eyes. 

We both returned to the shade of the temple in disappointment when Tavayogi motions me to take a seat beside the statue of Agathiyar while he took a photograph of us. I made my way to the inner sanctum (Mulastanam) but stopped short of entering it for it was not our privilege to enter the sacred inner sanctum, even though Tavayogi encouraged me. Just as I began to take my place on the threshold of the inner chamber Tavayogi threw me his shawl to lay on the floor that was stained in oil, and lo! What do you know the sage opened his left eye! I left Agasthiyampalli amazed at what had taken place. 


To my question as to who was the man who waited for our arrival and commanded us around? Agathiyar in the Nadi reading tells me HE was on hand to greet us cheerfully at Agasthiyampalli that day! 

On our return journey, we stopped at the Breehadeshwar temple at 3.00 pm. Tavayogi only prayed at the Siddha Samadhi and caves. As the temples in India are closed from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm, Tavayogi laid his shawl on the ground in a shaded spot in front of the magnificent Nandi to take a nap. I went around snapping some photographs. 

Karuvurar’s Samadhi which was at the back of this famed Chola temple was open. As I entered the temple the caretaker who was cleaning the oil lamps, to my surprise, called me in, lighted the camphor, extended the flame to me, and gave me the sacred ash. 

I came back to the spot where Tavayogi was napping. He invited me to share his shawl. I saw it as a privilege to get to lie down beside my guru on his shawl. 

At 4.00 pm when the temple doors were opened to the public, Tavayogi went straight to Karuvurar’s temple. The caretaker who attended to me earlier attended to Tavayogi too. Tavayogi sat at the temple in meditation. I followed him. Some pilgrims who had taken shelter away from the scorching sun were conversing loudly. The caretaker drove them away asking them not to disturb our meditation thus creating a peaceful environment for us to meditate. 

Why did Tavayogi choose to wait until 4.00 pm since Karuvurar’s temple and Samadhi was not closed for the afternoon?

Tavayogi had offered his shawl thrice to me. He gave it to me to keep me warm against the cold air at Kallar when we started on our morning walk; he gave it to me to lay it down on the floor before I sat at Agathiyar’s shrine in Agasthiyampalli; he shared his shawl now at Breehadeshwarar temple grounds where we lay down to rests. 


I ponder again Swami Muktananda’s description of a true guru from ‘KUNDALINI - THE SECRET OF LIFE’, Siddha Yoga Publication, 1994, 
"The guru is the grace bestowing power of God. The entire body of such a guru has become permeated with Shakti. In fact the guru becomes the embodiment of Shakti to such an extent that the hat he wears, his clothes, and the mat on which he sits become permeated with it, and just by touching them, a disciple can receive Shakti." 
Tavayogi brought me to Saraswati Mahal, King Sarobhoji’s palace, now converted into a museum that housed his vast collection of English books, portraits, old writings, numerous Nadis and Siddha works. 

We left for the famous holiday spot, Agathiyar Falls at Papanasam in the Pothigai hills. After taking a bath at the Falls, we walked up a flight of steps to Kalyana Theertam. There was a shrine for Agathiyar at the Shiva temple. Tavayogi told me that this was the place where Agathiyar had meditated and attained Mukti. I was told this was also the place where the Sidhas come down in the form of light after 11.00 pm daily. Impressed by the talk that one could see Sidhas in light form at this place, I requested Tavayogi that we stay overnight to watch them but Tavayogi preferred to stay in the caves of Courtallam. 


Coming down from Kalyana Theertam, we stopped to pray at a large temple dedicated to Agathiyar and another to Shiva.


A few minutes drive later and we arrive at the famed Courtallam picnic spot. We start our hike to the caves of the Sidhas situated in the dense jungles of Pothigai hills, from behind the Falls. Tavayogi rushed up the jungle track, with my brother, who we picked up earlier at Trichy, and me close on his heels, hoping to make it to the caves before dark. Strong winds blew again as we climbed the rocky terrain and made our way through the dense forests. It was a three kilometer walk uphill to the Siddha caves. Night set in as we arrived at the Shenbaga Devi Amman temple. 

Yogi S A A Ramaiah in his book ‘BABAJI GITA’ says, the Shenbaga Devi Amman temple was built on the exact spot where Agathiyar initiated Maha Avatar Babaji or Baba Nagaraj into Kriya Kundalini Pranayam. 

The caretaker of the Shenbaga Devi Amman temple, Vellamal, her brother Subramaniam and another women, showed us the way to Agathiyar’s Cave, opened up the grilled gates, cleared some space and boiled some hot tea for us. Having attended to our needs, they took leave of us. I was amazed at the Sidhas for providing for us. The cave was cosy, and warm. It was so small, we could hardly stand up in this cave. The adjacent compartment of the cave was empty except for an oil lamp that was kept burning. I was told this was the spot Agathiyar had meditated. We entered this chamber and sat down. As usual, Tavayogi sang the hymns, which I had now become familiar with. I chanted the names of the Siddhas. We spent the night in this cave. 


The next day, Tavayogi suggested we go to Dhakshinamurthi’s Cave and Ramalinga Adigal’s Cave. Vellamal and the trio, came by and made tea for us. A sadhu, an unexpected guest, joined us for tea.

When we came down to Shenbaga Devi Amman’s temple, the sadhu who had tea earlier with us at Agathiyar’s cave, volunteered to take us to Dhakshinamurthi’s Cave. He opened up the metal grill gates to the cave entrance, lighted an oil lamp inside the cave and waited for us outside the cave. We entered the cave, which was large enough for us to stand. We sat down in meditation for a while. The sadhu closed the grilled gates behind us and went his way. Who was he? 


Tavayogi led us to Ramalinga Adigal’s cave. The entrance to the cave was secured with a metal grill gate too. Tavayogi tried to open it in vain. I inspected the grill gate and tried to unlatch it. The latch gave way. It was pitch dark inside. We lighted a candle that we had brought along. The outer chamber was large enough to stand around but we had to crawl into the inner chamber, which was rather small. I grasped Tavayogi’s hand as tears ran down my cheeks. I was grateful and appreciated Tavayogi for having brought me to these spectacular and auspicious places. I would not have made it here on my own. I felt elated with the hospitality shown by the Siddhas. I questioned myself if I deserved it. We closed the grill gate to the cave and headed back for Agathiyar’s cave. 


We packed up and prayed at the Shenbaga Devi Amman temple before coming down the hills. 

We stopped over at the Kutralanathar temple in town. Tavayogi brought me to the back of the temple where we sat before Agathiyar’s shrine. Tavayogi broke down in tears as he sang the hymns. At that moment, I thought I saw Agathiyar blink his eyes. I got up and moved closer, to inspect and to assure myself that I wasn't seeing things. I stood still, my gaze fixed on Agathiyar. True enough, he was blinking his eyes. Tavayogi broke my attention span when he called out, “You have seen, have you? Come on let’s move on.” Tavayogi again as at Agasthiyampalli hurried me out of the temple after witnessing another spectacular event. He never gave me a moment to dwell on the mystical. I presume he does not want me to be stuck with these images and stay put at that stage or level forever.

Adi Sankara was always afraid that the devotee or the yogi might become so infatuated with his God that he would never get to the Reality behind the Gods.

After 9 years under his tutorship I now realize the reason for Tavayogi to pulled us away from these moments where a miracle takes place. The nature of man is to investigate. If left for a moment too long, one will start investigating the phenomena, question, probe, analyse and form an opinion.

We moved on to Palani. As it was night, we decided to visit Lord Murugan the next day. Tavayogi sat at Bhogar’s Samadhi in meditation. I wept in silent. As we came out of Bhogar’s chamber, a young priest intercepted us at the corridor and passed a tumbler to Tavayogi saying Abhisega Paal. I was overjoyed. I told myself, “My God it was happening again. I am being given the Abhisega Paal again.” I was given a tumbler of milk on my visit here in 2003 under the same circumstances. I was receiving it again. Tavayogi drank a portion and passed it to my brother who took a sip and gave me the rest. 

Tavayogi went ahead with my brother, out of Bhogar's temple into the open. I lagged behind them, filled with ecstasy and bliss. Tavayogi turned around and with a large grin and a twinkle in his eyes, asked me, “What is it, my son.” I went up to him and placed my head on his chests. Tears of joy quelled in my eyes. I was experiencing something beyond this world that I could not comprehend, thanks to Tavayogi. 

On the way back to Kallar, Tavayogi took me to the Marudamalai Murugan temple where we went down a flight of steps to the cave of Pampatti Siddha. Tavayogi meditated just outside the cave. Some of the devotees and tourists come over to Tavayogi for the sacred ash. This was the first time I saw the public approach Tavayogi for the sacred ash. 

Agathiyar mentioned in the nadi that I went looking for Supramania Swami of Thiruvanamalai; that he sent Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal to me; and that I went on my own discretion to meet Tavathiru Rengaraja Desiga Swamigal of Ongkarakudil, Thuraiyur without their blessings. 

I then realized that it is very important for us to first receive God's Grace or Arul if we were to meet these saints. We need to put in the necessary effort and pray that the Lord showers his grace on us. Then it turns out to be a successful venture. 

Richard S. Weiss in ‘RECIPES FOR IMMORTALITY, MEDICINE, RELIGION AND COMMUNITY IN SOUTH INDIA’, published by Oxford University Press, Inc., 2009 says it beautifully, 
"Human effort is successful only with divine assistance." 
Supramania Swami told me that we shall ‘polish’ IT till we attain God. He added that no effort is lost. Tavayogi told me that we shall put in all the effort to attain God. He added that if we do not achieve God in this birth then it shall be in the next. 

Swami Sivananda advises aspirants on the spiritual path, 
"Let each man take the path according to his capacity, temperament, and understanding. His Satguru will meet him along the path. Listen to all, but follow one. Respect all, but adore one. Gather knowledge from all, but adopt the teachings of one Master. Then you will have rapid spiritual progress. Once you choose your Guru, implicitly follow him. God will guide you through the Guru." 
Just as Swami Muktananda said he had to wait a long time before he received the ‘word’ from his guru Bhagawan Nithyananda, Tavayogi too told me I had to wait twelve years to receive his grace. His able aid, comrade of many years and disciple Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyar patiently waits for the day too. 

Swami Rajarshi Muni in ‘YOGA - THE ULTIMATE ATTAINMENT’, Jaico Publishing House, 2004 too mentions that it takes a long time to reach the final goal and that there is no shortcut to liberation. 

Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami’s translation of Tirumular’s ‘TIRUMANTIRAM, from ‘MERGING WITH SIVA – HINDUISM CONTEMPORARY METAPHYSICS’, sums up beautifully my journey with my gurus, Supramania Swami and Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal. 
"He taught me humility, infused in me the light of devotion, granted me the grace of His feet. After holy interrogation, testing me entirely, He revealed to me the Real, the unreal and real-unreal. Undoubtedly, the Siva- Guru is Iraivan, the worshipful Lord Himself." 
Tavayogi taught me humility when he picked up my sandals from the opposite banks of the river that flows by his ashram; carried my dirty linen at Pothigai; and carried the sack of vegetables on his shoulders back from the market. I realized here was a man whose ego had died. He was showing me by example how a saint should live. What he did was give me practical guidance. 

Supramania Swami was by nature humble, reserved and consumed by his love for God and his gurus. 

Tavayogi infused in me the light of devotion when he gave me Diksha on Agathiyar’s Moola Mantra to chant; showed me Asanas and Pranayama to adopt and practise; delivered more mantras to chant; and showed me the proper way to conduct a Homam and Abhisegam. Tavayogi did not preach much but instead got me going immediately on the path of the Siddhas. I was taken to the jungles of Kangayam, Pothigai, and Courtallam. I had the rare opportunity to visit these spots and stay overnight in some of these caves, which I would not have done if I were touring on my own. The Siddhas showed me a few miracles in the presence and through Tavayogi. Tavayogi taught me by exemplary behavior of his. 

What he gave me was practical guidance; demonstration of the Yoga Asanas and Pranayama that he does daily; bringing me on his daily morning walks to keep fit and be with nature; showing me how to conduct prayers, Homam, and Abhisegam; and teaching me to drop the ego. Agathiyar reminds me in the nadi that the Asanas and Pranayama demonstrated by Tavayogi are to be treasured and practiced diligently. 

After witnessing a spectacular event each time, Tavayogi hurried me away from that place. He never gave me a moment to dwell on the mystical. He always reminded me not to get stuck at any one stage or level. 

For one who was in the Sariyai stage, he has to move up to the Kriyai stage. Similarly for one on the Yoga stage he too has to advance to the Gnana stage. There is nothing wrong in these stages. It is only wrong to forever remain in one particular stage of advancement. 

Adi Sankara was always afraid that the devotee or the yogi might become so infatuated with his God that he would never get to the Reality behind the Gods. 

Tirumular reminds us that we would have to even loose the identity with Shiva. 

Leonard Orr in ‘THE YOGA OF EVERLASTING LIFE’ observes the common denominators of the practices of all the immortals he had met (eight of them), 
"Notice the main points are not intellectually stimulating. They are practices. They are not something you can learn. They are something which you do. They are like the water which runs forever, the fire which is always consuming. The wind which always moves. The Earth, always changing and nourishing. The immortal yogis who do these simple practices are always awake and alive. The basic practices described here naturally evolve the soul to this high state of body mastery." 
Supramania Swami on his part delivered a Shiva Mantra as a Manthira Upadesam and always reminded me to carry on my Tavam. Supramania Swami performs a miracle when he brought back his guru Yogi Ramsuratkumar from samadhi to chant a midst us. And finally he passed me all his merits attained through years of austerities. 

Supramania Swami lighted the light of devotion towards God and guru in me while Tavayogi nurtured it. 

Tavayogi granted me the grace of his feet. He never allowed nor approved disciples and devotees falling at his feet for blessings. He always reminded us that we should only fall at the feet of Agathiyar and no one else. But I shall fall at my guru’s feet for Tavayogi and Supramania Swami were both father and guru to me. 

After holy interrogation, testing me entirely. Tavayogi told me that the devotee would be tested just as he (Tavayogi) had been tested to the extreme. 

He related his life story. Although Tavayogi’s life began in poverty, he managed to secure a Masters. He started a cotton mill in his home town of Tirupur. With the wealth gained from his booming business, he ventured into politics and financed two films. He was a prominent speaker and chairperson at debates,(Pattimandram). He became a disciple of Chitramuthu Adigal. He referred to the Nadi of the Siddhas often. The Nadi revealed his mission. He followed the teachings of the Siddhas that brought transformation in him.

When the nation went through troubled times, he incurred massive losses. This was when he lost his eyesight too. He had to sell all his assets to settle his debts. His children were left in the custody of a relative; his wife worked as a servant; while he moved into a temple near Methupalaiyam where the Goddess was known to cure the blind. Almost a year went by when at one juncture during his stay at this temple Tavayogi wanted to end his life in front of a moving train only to stop in his tracks when he heard Agathiyar say, "I am here". At that moment he surrendered to Agathiyar. 

Ramana Maharshi explains surrender in ‘DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN’ by A. Devaraja Mudaliar, 
"By whatever path you go, you will have to lose yourself in the One. Surrender is complete only when you reach the stage, ‘Thou art all’ and ‘Thy will, will be done’. You can have no likes or dislikes after your surrender and that your Will should become completely non-existent, the Lord’s Will taking its place. Such death of the ego is nothing different from Jnana. So by whatever path you may go, you must come to Jnana or onenesses." 
Shantideva, the eight century Indian saint wrote, 
"In order to attain the highest illumination we all have to pass through a spiritual birth. Man as a creature, brought into being out of nothing, certainly is at the mercy of his creator. Man as a spirit, by becoming spiritually conscious he can control his destiny. The self is not known through the study of the scriptures, or through the subtlest intellect, or through much learning; but he who longs for him knows him. He makes us dead to our own existence and alive to his own. God appears when the ego dies." 
After his surrender to Agathiyar, Tavayogi’s life changed for the better. He regained his eyesight and all the comforts of life. Tavayogi started rebuilding his life back. He started his cotton mill industry, held prayers, fed the poor and did charity. At fifty years of age, and after 25 years of faithfully following the teachings of his guru Chitramuthu Adigal, Agathiyar and the Sidhas, Tavayogi made the decision to become a mendicant, this time leaving behind his family and wealth voluntarily. 

He left home to roam the streets of India; meditated in caves in the deep forests; slept at temples and begged for his food. 

Supramania Swami too was put through the test. Swami too lost his sight when the sap of the Kalli tree blinded him. He went seeking treatment in the Government Hospital in Chennai only to be told it was going to cost him a large sum. By God’s grace the politician M.U.Karunanidhi who was admitted in the hospital at the same time graciously took upon himself to pay for the cost of operating Swami’s eyes. 

Supramania Swami at one stage ‘lost’ his mind. Not knowing what he was doing, Swami dressed in the bark of a plantain and started performing miracles and healing. He only came back to his senses when a ‘stranger’ cooked and fed him some ‘food’. 

He revealed to me the Real, the unreal and real-unreal. Many a times, Tavayogi and Agathiyar have said that I have to be patient. Tavayogi mentioned I was hasty in my journey to know God. He told me one has to wait twelve years to receive the grace of the guru. He himself served his guru Chitramuthu Adigal twenty five years before he received the grace of his guru. Tavayogi had put in many years on the Siddha path before the Siddhas started appearing before him. 

Lucy Cornelssen in ‘HUNTING THE ‘I’, Sri Ramanasramam, 2005, says, 
"The Sastras say that one must serve a guru for twelve years for getting self realization." 
Tavayogi currently runs an ashram the Sri Agathiyar Gnana Peedham Tirukovil which he set up in Kallar on the instructions of Agathiyar where, he holds prayers for Agathiyar and the Siddhas every Full Moon day; feeds the poor with donations from the public; conducts Agathiyar’s Guru Puja once a year in a grand scale by lighting 108 yagams or sacrificial fire pits again on the instruction of Agathiyar; conducts yoga and meditation classes; delivers spiritual talks; and reads the Jeeva Nadi for the public every Saturdays and Wednesdays on the instruction of Agathiyar (Contact Tavayogi at 91 98 4202 7383 or Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyar at 91 98 4255 0987 for an appointment). 

When called upon he officiates the opening of organizations and movements for Agathiyar and the Siddhas. Now at 73, he is more determined than ever to spread the words and works of Agathiyar and the Siddhas. He had wished for this task and his wish came true. His wish turned out to be his mission. 

Supramania Swami did not have disciples. When I ‘happened’ to come to him he took me in as a son. He earned his living by drawing up the astrological chart for seekers. He lived with his family till his final days. He had a wish too – to build a temple in Tiruvannamalai. In the midst of constructing the temple, the Gods decided otherwise and stopped him from continuing further through a message related by a total ‘stranger’ who we deemed to be a Siddha. 

Swami served five gurus. He finally attained samadhi at Tiruvannamalai. He passed on the merits of his Tavam to this blessed soul before leaving his mortal form. 

Undoubtedly, the Siva-Guru is Iraivan, the worshipful Lord Himself. Indeed, the guru is God in the eyes of the disciple. Swami Muktananda in ‘KUNDALINI - THE SECRET OF LIFE’, Siddha Yoga Publication, 1994, 
"The guru is the grace bestowing power of God." 
Muktananda mentions in ‘WHERE ARE YOU GOING? - A GUIDE TO THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY’, SYDA Foundation, 1989, 
"A guru has a bundle that he has been passed through the lineage and usually when he is about to leave his body he gives it to his disciple." 
When Supramania Swami passed on the merits gained from his Tavam to me, I realize the responsibility of carrying the good name of the guru lies on my shoulder.

A guru can be many things but as Muktananda in ‘THE GURU MAKES YOU PERFECT - MEDITATIONS ON THE GURU’S GRACE’ from ‘DARSHAN’, a Siddha Yoga Publication, May 1992, says, 
"The guru is one in whom the divine power of grace has taken permanent abode. The truth is that when God is pleased, he will direct you to the guru, and when the guru is pleased, he will direct you to God. It is only when the two come together that you have the divine union. Gurudev is like the philosopher’s stone; he makes his disciples just like himself. He turns them into gurus like himself. This is the true guru-disciple relationship." 
A quote by Tirumular from Richard S. Weiss’s ‘RECIPES FOR IMMORTALITY, MEDICINE, RELIGION AND COMMUNITY IN SOUTH INDIA’, published by Oxford University Press, Inc., 2009 amply concludes this journey of sheer joy in discovering the sacred moments where a disciple meets his guru and likewise a guru seeks out his disciple.
"I received the title of ‘master’ by Nandi’s grace. I found Mulan only through Nandi’s grace. Without Nandi’s grace, what can be accomplished? With Nandi showing the way, I remained on the earth."