Friday 7 March 2014

THE MAGNANIMITY OF THE GURU PART 3/3

I had always wished that I could have been a witness to Ramalinga Adigal attaining light or Jhothi.

I had put this request to Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal when he was in Malaysia, hoping to see Tavayogi achieve that feat. Tavayogi very humbly told me that it was not possible in this birth and that he too would have to take rebirth to achieve that state. At that moment I saw the magnanimity of Tavayogi. He was clear in his achievement, void off all false hope, true to the skin, and did not adorned a false mask.

Even prior to this conversation he had shown how great a spiritual figure he was, when it came to the act of humility. I had extended an invitation and he had accepted to come to my home. As we left in the car, after his visit to my home, I thanked him for coming over, mentioning that he was the only saint or Guru to grace my home. He caught me by surprised when he came down hard on me saying I was living in illusion or Maya and that I thought he had some magical power hidden within his Kaavi clothing. He continued that he was a nobody and reminded me not to worship him but the power residing within all of us. I was saddened that day when he thrashed my joy and happiness in receiving him at my home.

But today after 9 years of tutorship under him, I realize the magnanimity of Tavayogi to come out and say such a thing then. I can only imagine what I would have done if he did not take me to task then and instead fanned my joy. What would have happened is that the moment I sent him back to his residence, I would have had blown up a photo of him, garlanded and worshiped him.

He educated me on who to worship. His only mantra was the name of Agathiyar. He promoted the chant, Arul Gnana Jhotiye Agathin Jhoti Tani Perung Kadavule Agatheesar Avar. To all those who came to him he would listen to them, explain to them that all that was taking place was due to one's karma (Vinai Payanaal Varuvathu), and shows them a way out through prayers to the Siddhas (Potrinaal Unathu Vinai Agalum Appa). He use to say all that was required was to chant the names of the Siddhas. That was his worship, simple and an easy task, nothing elaborate or complicated.

That is exactly what we did. We offered prayers to Agathiyar and the Siddhas. Later he asked that we include another ritual, lighting the sacrificial fire or Homam. We started the Homam. When he came again to Malaysia he showed us the proper way to do the Homam and Abhisegam or libation. In October of last year, he gave my family the privilege to sing the hymns of praise to the Siddhas during prayer or Puja at his ashram. He endorsed our worship and granted us a pair of sandals or Paataratchai and the Vaasikol as a gift. He called me aside and asked to tell out Agathiyar's mantra, what was once told to my wife and me behind close doors and was not to be disclosed.

Once he told me the Guru will observe the student for 12 years before bestowing him blessings. We were lucky, it took only 9 years for us to gain his approval and acknowledgement.