Tuesday 15 April 2014

SIDDHAR VIZHA PART 1/6

As we celebrate Siddhar Vizha, I thought I would posts some portions from Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal's books, ANDAMUM PINDAMUM and ATMA GNANAM.

Tavayogi offers homage to his Satguru Agathiyar and Guru Chitramuthu Adigal in the following songs.

Tavayogi with Agathiyar at Agasthiyampalli
சற்குரு வணக்கம் 

அண்ட பிண்டங்களின் மூலப்பொருளே
அறிவில் துலங்கி நிற்கும் அறிவொளியே
அடியவனென் உள்ளத்து ஊறும் நறும் சுவையே
யாவரும் காண்பதற்கரிய மெய்ப் பொருளே
ஒலியாய் ஒளியாய் உயிராய் நின்றிலங்கும் கருவே
தத்துவங்கள் யாவிலும் தனித்தனி விளங்கும் விளக்கே
உயிரே வாசியாய் வாசியே உயிராய் நடத்தும் நற்பதமே
இறைநிலை அதனை பரவெளியாய் உணர்த்திய பரமே
அண்ட பிண்ட சிறு நூல் படைக்க அருளிட்ட சற்குருவே
அடிபணிந்தேன் நின் பாதம் அகத்தீசர் அருளுகவே

Chitramuthu Adigal
குரு வணக்கம் 

தெய்வத் திருவருட் பதமே அகத்தே ஊறும்
அருள் பழுத்த அமுதே எந்தன்
மெய்த் தவக் கனியே என்றும்
நெஞ்சத்து உறைகின்ற குருவே அருவே
பொய்மை போக்கும் பூரணமே தந்தையே
திருவடி பணிந்தேன் சித்ரமுத்தே சிறியேன்
வாய்மை புகன்றிட சமர்ப்பித்தேன் சிறுநூலை
எழியேன் வணங்குகிறேன் தாழ்தனையே

Tavayogi in his book ANDAMUM PINDAMUM starts off with several songs revealing the nature of the Siddhas.

From BHOGAR SAPTA KAANDAM (57:57),

பகருவேன் அகத்தியருக்கு வயது ஏதென்றால்
பட்சமுடன் துகை கணக்கு கூறொண்ணாது
நிகரமுடன் சொல்வதற்கு யாராலாகும்
நீதியுடன் நூல்களில் உரைத்த மார்க்கம்
அ கரமென்ற அட்சரமும் அவரால் ஆச்சு
அப்பனே நாலுயுகம் கடந்த சித்து
சகரமெல்லாம் தான் துதிக்கும் கும்பயோனி
சதுரான அகத்தியர் என்று அறையலாமே

நாலுயுகம் கடந்து வாழ்ந்து கொண்டிருக்கின்ற சித்தர் என்று கூறுகிறார், உண்மையிலேயே வாழ்ந்து கொண்டிருக்கின்றார்களா?

From KONGANAR VATHA KAAVIYAM 3000 (411),

திரைத்தவனை மால் தொடங்கி பிடித்து வாங்கி
சீராகப் பரப்பினதோர் திறமுங் கண்டேன்
சுரைத்தவனும் இராவணனும் இராமனாகச்
சூழ்ந்து பத்துப் பதினைந்தும் கண்டேன் கண்டேன்
முரைத்தவனும் கோபால கிருஷ்ணனாகி
மூவாறு பாரதமும் முடியக் கண்டேன்
கரைத்தவனே மால் பிரமர் மாண்டு மாண்டு
காட்டியதோர் கூத்தெல்லாம் கண்டேன் நானே

மேற்கண்ட பாடல் மூலம் நீர் தத்துவம் (மால்)தொடங்கி அனைத்து ஜீவ ராசிகளும் தோன்றி பத்துப் பதினைந்து இராவணன் இராமன் இப்படி தோன்றி தோன்றி மறைந்தார்கள் கண்டேன். அதேபோல கிருஷ்ணன் தோன்றி 18 பாரதமும் முடிவதைப் பார்த்தேன் என்றும்  எத்தனையோ திருமால் பிரும்மா மாண்டு மாண்டு போன இந்த கூத்தையெல்லாம் கண்டேன் நானே என்று கூறுகிறார்கள் என்றால் இவர்களுக்கு சாவு இல்லை மரணமில்லை என்றல்லவா உறுதியாகத் தெரிகிறது. அண்டங்கள் பிண்டங்கள் அழிவதைப் பார்த்துக் கொண்டு இருக்கின்ற இந்த சித்தர்கள் எங்கிருந்து பார்க்கிறார்கள்?
எப்படி பார்க்கிறார்கள்?

அகத்தியர் தன்னுடைய சௌமிய சாகரம்  (111), தன்னுடைய மாணவனான புலத்தியருக்கு ரிஷி முனிவர் பிறப்பைப் பற்றி கூறும்போது,

காணவே சிவஞானம் உணர்ந்தோர் தானும்
கருணையுள்ள மாதவத்தோர் பெருமை தானும்
பேணவே தூலமதைச் சூட்சுமமாக்கி
பிலமான சூட்சுமத்துக் காரணமாய் நின்று
தோணவே ஆதி அந்தம் ஒன்றாய் நின்று
துலங்குகின்ற சுடரொளியில் சோதியாகிப்
பேணவே பூமியில் வந்து அவதரிப்பார்
பிறந்தாலுஞ் சிவயோகி யாவார் பாரே

மேற்கண்ட பாடலின் பொருளானது சிவஞானம் உணர்ந்தவர்கள் அதாவது வெட்டவெளி பிரபஞ்ச ரகசியம் உணர்ந்தவர்கள் கருணையுள்ள அந்த தவப்பெரியோர்கள் பெருமையை வாய்விட்டுச் சொல்லமுடியாது. அவர்களெல்லாம் தன்னுடைய தூல உடலை சூட்சுமமாகி அந்த சூட்சும உடலுக்கு ஆதாரமாக காரணமாக இருக்கின்ற முதலும் முடிவுமாக இருக்கின்ற ஜோதியில் ஜோதியாகி இருப்பார்கள். இந்த பூமியில் வந்து அவதரிக்கின்றபோது சிவயோகியாக ஆவார்கள் என்று கூறுகின்றார்.

மேற்கண்ட பாடல் விளக்கத்தின் மூலம் சித்தர்கள் வெட்டவெளியில் ஜோதியில் ஜோதியாக கலந்து நின்று மரணமில்லாத பெருவாழ்வைப் பெற்று வாழ்கின்றார்கள் எனபது ஆதார பூர்வமாகத் தெரிகிறது.

Agathiyar reveals to his student Pulastyar that the Siddhas are in the form of Jothi, in the Jothi and as the Jothi and that, that Jothi is Shivan.

When Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal came to propagate the message of the Siddhas to Malaysians, he accepted me as his disciple among many others. I did not subscribe to any dailies but during the period of Tavayogi’s visit to Malaysia, my neighbor Augustine used to give me a complimentary copy of a Tamil language daily every day, which carried news about Tavayogi’s visit and the opening of an Agathiyar Gnana Peedham in Batu Caves. I called the number advertised in the papers for an appointment to see Tavayogi.

The name Thangarasan was familiar to me. Therefore, I went through my belongings looking for a leaflet that the Nadi Guru Senthilkumar of Avinasi gave me when I went for my first reading. Tavayogi, then known as Thai Veedu Thangarasan, had circulated the leaflet informing the public about his intention in building a new temple for Agathiyar at Kallar.

On the day of appointment as I walked into the office space on the second floor of this premise I saw Tavayogi with two others. After exchanging greetings, I was told by Appana Nagappan to go ahead with Tavayogi while he had to attend to certain matters with Perumal.

Tavayogi led me into another room and sat down on the carpeted floor. I followed him. I handed the leaflet that I had brought along and asked if it was his. He confirmed that it was he all right.

I told him that I had seen the Nadi in 2002 and was directed to worship Siddhas. He asked me to narrate what was said in the Nadi. He listened attentively and told me I had come to the right place.

Appana handed me a couple of posters of Agathiyar and the Siddhas. Tavayogi blessed me with the sacred ash (Vibhuti Prasad). I fell at Tavayogi’s feet as was customary when one meets a religious figure. However, Tavayogi takes me to task saying I should only fall at the feet of Agathiyar. Then my gaze falls on a wooden sandal that was representative of Agathiyar’s feet and revered (Pathugai). Almost spontaneously, I was overcome with emotion and cried my heart out as I clutched on tightly to the 'feet' of Agathiyar.

When I regained my composure, I asked Tavayogi if I had done much Karma since I only had the opportunity to know of the Nadi, Agathiyar and the Siddhas when I was forty-three years of age. I thought Tavayogi would console me with a lengthy sermon but to my surprise he said, “Be grateful that at least you got the opportunity and came to this realization and this path now at this age.”

It is mentioned in the AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI by Paramahansa Yogananda, published by Self-Realization Fellowship, 1990,

“It was not until the disciple (Lahiri Mahasaya) had reached his thirty-third year that Babaji deemed the time ripe for re-establishing openly the never-severed link. After the brief meeting near Ranikhet, the selfless Guru did not keep the beloved disciple by his side, but released Lahiri Mahasaya for an outward world mission".

Tavayogi narrated a story about a Guru and a disciple on a journey where they meet a young attractive girl who would not cross the river for fear of drowning. Therefore, the Guru lifted her on his shoulders and crossed the heavily swollen river with the disciple following behind. On reaching the other shore, the Guru left the girl behind and continued the journey. The disciple, who was very disturbed by what he had seen, eventually blurted out his uneasiness and unhappiness at what the Guru had done. He questioned his Guru. The Guru replied, “I had carried the burden on my shoulders and left it behind as soon as I had reached the shores while you have been carrying it with you until now.” Similarly, Tavayogi reminded me to let the past be.

In Yogananda’s AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI (Yogananda, Autobiography Of A Yogi, 1990), Yukteswar advised a new student who occasionally expressed doubts regarding his own worthiness to engage in Yoga practice.

“Forget the past,” Sri Yukteswar would console him. “The vanished lives of all men are dark with many shames. Human conduct is ever unreliable until anchored in the Divine. Everything in future will improve if you are making a spiritual effort now.”

Tavayogi then led me out of the room where he showed me photographs of the many activities conducted at his ashram. Tavayogi invited me to bring my family along for his discourses at the Peedham in the evenings.

That evening after the said discourse was over, my wife and I received an initiation of Agathiyar's Mantra (Mantra Diksha) from Tavayogi, together with others from the Agathiyar Gnana Peedham.

Just before Tavayogi, left for India, Agathiyar in the Nadi asked me to requests the Mantra Diksha again from Tavayogi, which surprised both of us! Tavayogi initiated me again.

Since Tavayogi invited me to his ashram and Agathiyar had asked me to spend some time at Tavayogi’s ashram, I took heed of their invitation and made my second pilgrimage to India in 2005.

After 8 years I made another visit to Tavayogi in October of last year.