Monday 26 May 2014

IN MEMORY OF SIVABALAN

Just as I was about to add the final touches and post the news about how Agathiyar came to Bala Chandran's aid, I received a message from a friend informing me of the demise of another good friend. I had to put Bala's post on hold.

My friend, was a very young man full of energy. He was humble to the core. A good soul. When the authorities picked up the owner of a children's home for wrong doing, the children were left on their own, unattended for days. My friend went to the children's aid. Slowly, after having to convince his family, he made the collective decision, to have the children brought over to his home and cared for them. Later with eight of his friends, they decided to rent a premise for this purpose. What started with a handful of children became 40 in numbers. He has 2 kids on his own. That great soul has left behind 42 kids to mourn his death.

I came to know him when my colleague Muralitharan Saminathan introduced him to me in 2002, as the person who brought in Nadi readers from India. I had an appointment to read my Nadi. Sentilkumar from Avinashi read my Kaanda Nadi for the very first time under the watchful eyes of my friend. It was a beautiful reading. At the end of the reading, my friend gave me a poster of Agathiyar to be worshiped while Sentilkumar handed me a book on hymns for Siddhas, SIDHAR POTRI THOGUPPU.

In the reading Agathiyar had told me to donate towards the building of temples and also asked that a temple be built for him. I was happy thinking that I had been given a rare honor. But my friend revealed and reminded me not to float on cloud nine and brought me back to reality. He told me Agathiyar had mentioned this particular requests of his, that is to build his temple, to close to 50 people before me, and added that none took up Agathiyar's wish. My friend requested me to do it. He is a reason behind the emergence of Agathiyar Vanam too.

He too wanted to build a temple for Agathiyar but did not materialize. He had often told me he wanted to visit Agathiyar at Agathiyar Vanam and pay his respects. That too did not materialize. 

I am forever grateful to him for helping me start on the Path of the Siddhas. My condolences to his family and friends.