Friday 14 July 2017

SAVING FOR A RAINY DAY

When I went out for lunch with one of my bosses many years ago, the topic of religion and spiritualism cropped up. He told me that he would wait till he was 50 years of age and then become spiritual. I asked myself then if there was a switch that we could flick and become spiritual overnight. Then the next question popped up in me. How sure are we that we would be around till 50?

Then many years forward, Jegan Shanmugam renders a song during the AVM bhajan session after our Thursday prayers. The song moved both my wife and me, for more than a reason. Jegan sings well. His songs bring the divine down. It melts even the hardest of hearts. Then again this song has such a wonderful lyric. The lyricists sees himself face old age and death. At that moment of inability, immobility, and gone senile, or with acute illness, he says he might not be able to utter the name of Lord Narayana, hence he takes the opportunity to sing the praise of the Lord right now at this very moment while he is hale and healthy, quite akin to saving for a raining day.

This is what we should be doing daily for we might not be even able to say his name, let alone call out to him to save us in our hour of need. 

"At that hour when death approaches me I am not sure if I will remember you, hence I am remembering you now Narayana, please take heed of my calling, 

When kapam or phlegm arises and my tongue quivers, I am not sure if I will remember you, hence I am calling you now so that you would appear then to save me Lord Narayana, 

When vayu or the vital air comes to a halt, and all senses seize to function, and my soul begins to leave, I am not sure if I would be thinking of you, hence I call out to you now so that you come to my aid then, 

When all that I thought was mine suddenly is of no significance and importance at the time of death, I am not sure if I will remember you my Lord, but nevertheless I pray that you would come then Lord Narayana, hence I am calling you out now, 

When Yama's servants appear to bind and take me away, I cannot promise that I would think of you, hence I call you now my Lord, 

When my next of kin surround my death bed and wail and cry out, I don't know if your thought will arise in me, hence I cry out for you my Lord this very moment, so that you would appear to save me during my final moments!", and so the song goes on.




In the next number that Jegan sang on Lord Nadeson, the lyricist prays that the Lord steps into his humble home, and fulfills his desires, protects him from danger, and brings him into the company of the good. He goes on to mention to the Lord that he has brought offerings for Him, that was made available by Him, so that He would bless him, and he goes on to sing the praises of Lord Nadeson further.