Wednesday 16 August 2017

GO OUT & EXERCISE

I had trained walking several kilometers in the neighborhood parks; I had climbed in the caves of Gua Tempurung carrying by daughter, a baby then; and I had climbed the stairs of Batu Caves again carrying my daughter. I did not gasp for air. I had no health issues. All this was done in preparation to go on my maiden journey of pilgrimage to India. Yet Lord Muruga stopped me right in my steps at the start of my climb at Palani. After purchasing the prayer items for Muruga at the stalls in the vicinity I took my first step. My legs became heavy all of a sudden. It was as if I was rooted to the ground. I had to use both my hands to pull my legs away from the ground as one would tug on a root embedded strongly in soil. I had to take a step at a time tugging on my feet till it released its hold to the ground. I could not understand what was going on and why? Slowly I made my way up. Those days there wasn't any option up the hill. I was sweating profusely; my heart pounding away inside my chest; my throat dry and parched as if I was in the Sahara. As I stepped onto the landing at the top of the temple grounds finally, after much effort, my vision became blur. I dropped myself against the wall of one of the numerous shops lined up. I saw a bright light and the silhouettes of devotees passing by. I could hear them talk. I sat there for some time till I regained my normal self and stood in line to have the darshan of the Lord. I could not comprehend what had taken place then. Although Agathiyar revealed what took place in Palani after two years, in the Nadi, he did not explain why I had to struggle to get there. I suppose I must have carried such an enormous amount of baggage (karma) with me that I had to exhaust them before I could set my eyes on him. But I never could remember seeing him then and even now.

Whenever Tavayogi is in Malaysia he can't wait to get back to his homeland. The reason he needs his daily walk in the woods he says. When he was on numerous visits to Malaysia, there was hardly any time for him to take a walk what with the tight schedule of talks and satsangs arranged and held in public places and the constant flow of visitors dropping in on him at his residence. Nor did the organizers take him away from the office space and homes into the woods for a break.

I could not fail to notice that he had kept his body and mind fit when he ran up a flight of steps to the top floors of the shop houses where Peedhams were housed in Malaysia.

I followed him on his morning walks in Kallar trying to catch up with him.

I saw how he snatched the heavy sack of groceries and greens we had purchased from the market in Methupalaiyam from me, as I struggled with it, and easily threw it over his shoulder and walked away casually.

When he volunteered over the phone to take me to all the places Agathiyar had asked me to go in the Nadi, I underestimated his vigor and fitness. It was I who had to  struggle to keep up with him. We took a flight of stairs that stopped abruptly at a depleted Murugan temple. From there on Tavayogi made his own path through the thorn bushes and scrubs, brushing it aside. We climbed up boulders and rocks to a cave perched on a hill, adjacent to Konganar caves at Uthiyur, where he had stayed during his days of austerities.




I had to keep up with him again as he made his way up a short flight of stairs behind the Kuttralam falls that let us into the woods and jungles. He sped off ahead of me as we were losing light, reminding me that we needed to reach the caves before dark.

After spending the night at Agathiyar's cave, having being served with hot tea in the cold of the night upon our arrival by Vellamal Ammaiyar the day before and again in the morning, we were led to Dhakshanamurthy's cave by a stranger who joined us for morning tea at Agathiyar's cave. He closed up the grills to the cave after we were done at the cave and left us as Tavayogi began to find his own way in the adjacent jungle finally arriving at an open clearing and Vallalar's cave.


I saw the speed and agility with which Tavayogi moved as if possessed by the spirit of the Siddhas, never for one moment looking back and checking on me if I was following. I realized my daily prayers to Agathiyar, one that I had adopted from Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar of Ongara Kudil, had been answered then. Agathiyar's army of Siddhas engulfed me and granted all my wishes, bringing me to his Pothigai mountain, taking me as his student.

அகத்தீசா உனது சீடர்களாகிய ஒன்பது கோடி பேரும் என்னை சூழ்ந்திருந்து நான் விரும்பியதெல்லாம் முடித்து வைப்பதோடு மட்டுமல்லாது உன்னுடைய மலையாகிய பொதிகைக்கு என்னை அழைத்துவர என்னை சீடனாக நீ ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

I was blessed that Tavayogi was fit and could take me along on a rare journey of discovery into the world of the Siddhas. Just as Supramania Swami gave me his Tapas, telling me that we need to leave behind even the merits gained from performing these austerities, Tavayogi too gave me the rare experience of being in the company of the Siddhas and their world.

When I go to the old folks home I am saddened to see that they have lost their self dignity and find no reason to live. There is no activity for them. They do not exercise. They just slump into their chairs for hours and days. If only the management would organize a daily walk around their premises in the mornings and evenings it would suffice to keep them alive and alert. Those inmates who are independent could help generate an income for the home.  In the homes of the kids, the children are left to while away their time. The management could initiate useful programmes for them. Although we have many ideas that we would like to see implemented, the managements should be receptive to these ideas. The best option would be to run the home ourselves. But AVM is in no position to run homes as it is a life long commitment. We cannot possibly run a home and feed the inmates for a few days and leave them to starve on other days. Children need to go to school till they are of an age where they can be employed. The health matters of the inmates have to be looked in too.

We need this body to realize Erai. This body is the vessel and vehicle for enlightenment. Erai resides in this chunk of meat. This filthy body is the temple of Erai. It is given to us not to fulfill our desires and pleasures in life but to use it for Erai's purpose and finally to cross the stream/river or ocean to the other bank where Erai waits for us with open outstretched arms. I remember vividly as I alighted from the car at the foot of the hill and made my way by foot to where Tavayogi's original Ashram was perched on, Tavayogi was waiting for me with outstretched arms. I was glad I had taken up his invitation to visit his Ashram.

I believe if we sacrificed this body to do seva or service for him, we have accomplished what we came for. For that we need to keep this body healthy. Now stop reading further and go out and exercise.