Saturday 19 May 2018

AS I BEGAN TO WRITE...

During one of his numerous visits to Malaysia, Tavayogi asked me to talk about the Siddhas. But how could I talk about them when I knew nothing about them? I could not comprehend the songs that Siddhas had delivered. They made no sense to me. After digesting all the Siddha literature, Tavayogi wrote several books with the intent to simplify the works of the Siddhas. Even those I could not understand fully. Then again that was bookish knowledge. I needed real experience. And so rather than talk about the Siddhas, Tavayogi took me along and we embarked on a journey of discovery into the realm of the Siddhas. Tavayogi who spent much time in the research of the Siddhas, brought me to the Saraswathi Mahal where is housed all the old scriptures of the Siddhas. He showed me the Siddhas, first appearing as scent, then as the breeze, as the clouds too, and as rain showers. It was all new and mesmerizing to me. But although that was mind boggling and unbelievable, I wanted concrete proof of the existence of the Siddhas. I wanted them to appear like you and me. I wanted to see them with my naked eyes.

I told Tavayogi I had two desires - to see Agathiyar and Ramalinga Adigal in person. My desires were justified. If someone was to ask me a question, "Since you have been worshiping Agathiyar all these years please tell me something about him", I would just fumble. I have to sincerely tell them that I do not know a single thing about him. I have no idea how he looks like: is he fair or dark?, fat or slim?, short or tall?, young or old? If I was to say something about him it would only be what I had read in the books, seen in the movies and talk shows. If someone was to ask me further, "How come you are worshiping someone you don't know, someone you haven't seen?", what or how am I to answer?

As I was hesitant to speak about the Siddhas, since my knowledge of them was shallow, I thought I would write about my own journey to India instead. I expanded my articles on my maiden pilgrimage to India in 2003, that I had wrote on my website indian heartbeat, started in 1996, which is now defunct. Soon I switched to writing this blog keeping up with the trend. Then I ventured to write my thoughts and publish them online as pdf files, available on the side bar/ blog roll of this blog. Agathiyar too in a timely gesture, encouraged me to write further. What could I write then if not for the experience that I had while traveling this path. And so I began to share these experience with all through this blog and and the many digital books I wrote.

I refrained from writing about Agathiyar; who he was; what he looked like; what took place in his life; etc because there was already is so much material about him, replicated and reproduced in almost all the websites and blog and videos. In a speech Tavayogi had mentioned that the pundits have spoken about 37 Agathiyar having existed over time.



A. Chidambaranar in his "Agathiyar Varalaaru" lists out all these names of Agathiyar and their times.
  1. Pothiyamalai Agathiyar (Kurumuni) 16,000 BC
  2. Muththoor Agathiyar 14,550 BC
  3. Vaataapi Agathiyar 14,058 BC
  4. Lobha Muththirai Agathiyar I 8,000 BC
  5. Maithiraa Varuna Agathiyar 8,000 BC
  6. Maaniya Agathiyar 8,000 BC
  7. Kumbha Agathiyar
  8. Aaveerpu Puththirar Agathiyar
  9. Kandharuvan Puththirar Agathiyar
  10. Agathiyar as one of the Seven Rishis 7,500 BC
  11. Purohitha Agathiyar I 7,500 BC
  12. Agathiyar from Thodiththol Sempiyan's times 6,200 BC
  13. Kudakumalai Agathiyar 6,020 BC
  14. Lobha Muththirai Agathiyar II 6,010 BC
  15. Kosalai Naadu Agathiyar 6,000 BC
  16. Panjavadi Agathiyar 6,000 BC
  17. Paava Naasa (Malaiyamalai) Agathiyar I 6,000 BC
  18. Kunjaragiri Agathiyar I 6,000 BC
  19. Purohitha Agathiyar II 6,000 BC
  20. Kunjaragiri Agathiyar II 3,110 BC
  21. Thuvaraapathi Agathiyar 3,100 BC
  22. Yasomathi Agathiyar 2,000 BC
  23. Purohitha Agathiyar III 1,900 BC
  24. Kaaraitheevu Agathiyar 400 BC
  25. Pothalagiri Agathiyar 274 BC
  26. Thilothamai Agathiyar 100 BC
  27. Paava Naasa (Malaiyamalai) Agathiyar II 2 AD
  28. Paava Naasa (Malaiyamalai) Agathiyar III 5 AD
  29. Purohitha Agathiyar IV 6 AD
  30. Kunjaragiri Agathiyar III 7 AD
  31. Purohitha Agathiyar V 7 AD
  32. Siddha Agathiyar 10 AD
  33. Thevara Agathiyar 11 AD
  34. Agathiyar author of scriptures 13 AD
  35. Agathiyar who converted Vishnu temple to Siva temple 13 AD
  36. Agathiya Pattar 18 AD
  37. Palla Agathiyar 19 AD
Similarly if I only knew of  the six popular forms of Lord Muruga, a friend of mine Jayaseelan, who has indulged in extensive research of Lord Muruga tells me that he has sixteen forms and names.

P Karthigayan has published many amazing references to Lord Muruga in his "History of Medical and Spiritual Sciences of Siddhas of Tamil Nadu."

Muruga is said to have taken on various names as he attained various advancement and states in his life. Originally named Supramaniar, he became Karthigeyan when he excelled in yoga, and on attaining immortality was called Muruga, and as he remained ever youthful he was called Kumaran, andbecoming mentor to Lord Shiva was called Swaninathan.

P Karthigayan refering to Bhogar Saththakaandam 7000, mentions Kumaran as an ancient priest king and a head of a monastery that was active for 123 generations. He was said to be 'active' for 3 yugas.

Garlanded in the Kadamba flowers to help identify his soldiers, carrying the flag with a cock as the symbol so as to identify his battalion, Kumaran rode on an elephant, to battle with the Avunas who were led by Soorabanman hence saving the Tamils who then held him in high esteem. Initially a warrior he defeated Soorabanman, moved into Shiva's Nandhi monastery observing severe penances and austerities, engaged in yoga and attained deathlessness, becoming mentor to Shiva himself. He was conferred a kingdom Paran Kundram and became god of the Devas.

Supramaniar came to be addressed as Kumaran after he discovered the secret of rejuvenation. In Supramaniar Gnaanam 200, Agathiyar is said to have received teachings on the Siddha path from Kumaran. P Karthigayan quotes Agathiyar from his Perunool Kaviyam 12000 where Agathiyar mentions just like Kanna Piraan (Lord Krishna) he too seeked upadesam from Vadivelan.

I have not indulged in these stories earlier for I did not want to engage in controversies and debate. I wanted access to these information from the man himself, that would be authentic and true. Arunagiri knew Lord Muruga as the god who came and caught him in his arms as he jumped from the temple towers of Arunachala. Arunagiri knew him as the god who gave him a dictate and asked him to go into isolation and solitude. Arunagiri knew him as the God who wrote on his tongue that got him started singing Lord Muruga's praise, estimated 16,000 songs. Arunagiri knew him as the god who appeared to all at Thiruvanamalai when Sambanthan contested and challenged him to make Lord Muruga appear. Arunagiri translated all his experiences into songs. So did Ramalinga Adigal, Pamban Swamigal and many others.

I have sketched most of the deities either on the walls of temples or for the magazines http://agathiyarvanam.blogspot.my/2014/03/my-art.html in the past, but I have yet to draw Agathiyar's picture. I told him if I were to draw him it would only be another copy of what I had seen in posters and books. I wanted him to show himself to me so that I could draw his form. But he never showed himself either in person, in a dream or in any other manner till recently.

Something amazing happened some days back. Yes he did come as the candidate who was assigned to play his role in the second music video that is now in the cutting room of Raagawave Production. There he was, looking tall, young and majestic as he alighted from the CR-V he drove. But the moment he alighted from the vehicle we both knew he was not himself. I had always told others that I did not want the Siddhas to appear as insects and bugs as I am told they frequently do during prayers. I wanted them to come in person, in the attire of the kaavi that is dignified and solemn. I had always wanted to see Agathiyar and Ramalinga Adigal but Tavayogi made me seek much higher aspirations. Telling me, appearing to us was something very common to them, he instead told me to ask for that which is rare and withheld for the very few chosen ones. I dropped the desire to see them too.

Then here was he in the kaavi attire with his long tresses rolled up and tied neatly high on his head, giving us a look and a smile that was beyond this world. We gave way to him. He stepped into AVM. He invited us in too by his hand gesture. I handed him the vaasikol and kamandalam for the video shoot. We stepped out of the prayer room as he sat there for a while. He got himself into another vehicle and remained silent, immersed in silence and deep meditation, holding on to the vaasikol and kamandalam for the entire duration of an hour and a half drive to the site of the shoot.

I told myself this was pretty close to what I had desired to see all this while. How often would you have someone dressed like Agathiyar drop by at AVM?

You will have to wait for the music video "Gnana Oliye" from the "Agathiyar Geetham" Audio CD Album to be uploaded on YouTube to agree with me.